I am so thrilled to see the recent influx of magnetic polishes. That was the last item left on my nail polish wishes list and now it's coming true! So far I've only tried LCN and Lancôme, but now Nails Inc. has a couple of magnetic shades available at Sephora. By the way, who else was super bummed when Sephora sent out that email that the Nails Inc. Magnetic Trio was discontinued before it was even released? I was. I soooo wanted that set, the pretty packaging, getting three shades for the cost of only two. Ugh. Now watch, after I buy both shades, they're going to bring back the set. Anyway......
I chose Houses of Parliament, but there's a grey shade called Trafalgar Square as well. There used to be a gold one called Big Ben, but it seems to have vanished.
Out of all the magnetic polishes I've tried, this one is the easiest to use by far. Nails Inc. has really nailed the magnet design. Observe:
The Nails Inc. Magnetic Polish bottle has a vanity cap with built in magnet. That means that whole round outer cap comes off and becomes the magnet platform. There's a little plastic curve at one end of the magnet. What you do is rest your cuticle on the curve and you'll automatically be in the optimal position to form a good design with the magnet. It keeps the nail from touching the magnet and the dip in the curve really helps you center the design on your nail.
There is one thing about this polish that you need to be careful of: The magnet is VERY strong. Which is a good thing, but that means that if you put a really thick coat of polish on, it will suck the iron out of the polish and onto the magnet, forming little weird nipple-y things on your design. So, try to go for a thinner coat, or even one super thin coat over a black or purple base. The thinner the coat, the less the magnet will attract the polish.
What I liked:
- Easiest to use of all the magnetic polishes I've tried.
- Gorgeous rich purple color.
- 3D / Tiger's Eye / surreal effect on the polish. You HAVE to see it in person, it's crazy.
- Magnet works extremely fast. I only need 1-2 seconds for a strong design to form.
- Generously sized bottle.
- Reasonable price for what you get- $16 for 0.33fl oz of polish and the magnet.
- Complete coverage in one coat.
- Fast dry time.
- Available at Sephora.
- SO FREAKIN' COOL.
- No variety in the colors- you get grey or purple, that's it.
- Super crazy strong magnet can mess up the design if you're not careful.
- Brush isn't the greatest quality, which is a shame.
Yeah, this one definitely gets two thumbs up from me. It's awesome. Dying to try the other color now. Really hoping they do more shades of this!