If you recall, I previously reviewed Too Faced's original Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzing Powder and found it to be not quite the right shade of bronzer for my skintone. Luckily for those of us with lighter complexions, Too Faced very recently released a second, less deep shade of Chocolate Soleil bronzer called Milk Chocolate. I've been testing out the Milk Chocolate shade and I'm happy to say that it's a much better match for my skin than the original. Here's what it looks like:
The new Milk Chocolate shade has the same smooth, silky, chocolate-scented matte formula as the original Chocolate shade, but it's much, much lighter. It is the lightest bronzer color I own.
To apply this product, I've been using Too Faced's Bronze-buki instead of my usual flat, square Benefit brush (taken from one of their boxed powders) or my Bare Escentuals Handy Buki. Since the powder is so light I don't have to worry about precision, and the soft, flat bristles of this brush not only feel good on my skin, but do a great job of creating a natural, seamless blended look.
- The Milk Chocolate shade looks perfectly natural on my skintone. Since I don't usually use bronzer to look tan (I use it to add dimension to my cheekbones), this color gives me the subtle shading I need without looking like I'm wearing bronzer. When I want something a little darker, I'll go for Sun Bunny instead.
- It blends very well into the skin and doesn't look powdery, chalky or rough. Like I said before, very natural finish.
- Since it's matte it doesn't highlight my pores or any rough areas on my skin.
- So far it hasn't made me break out or caused any other skin irritation.
- It's chocolate scented!
- The packaging is different from the original Chocolate Soleil that I have so I can easily distinguish between the two.
- Packaging is pretty.
What I didn't like:
- This isn't something that I personally dislike about it, but it is something to take note of: It's very light. It works for me because I'm fair, but if you have medium to dark skin, this may be too light for you.
- The chocolate scent could be a little more realistic. The formula does actually contain real cocoa powder, but I still think it smells like chocolate candle more than actual chocolate.
I'm quite happy with this. It worked out much better for me than the original shade and it's a pretty unique color. It's a lot lighter than any other bronzer in my collection, which makes it easier for someone with very light skin to wear. It doesn't look orange or obvious on me, it just blends in with my skin to create a soft warmth and shading. Too Faced Sun Bunny is still my holy grail bronzer, but this is better for when I want something more subtle/less obviously bronze.
On a semi-related note, Too Faced is currently having their semi-annual vintage sale right now, so you may want to take a look to see what they have. This bronzer isn't on sale, but they do have my favorite glitter eyeliners on clearance for $6 each.
Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzing Powder in Milk Chocolate retails at $29 for 0.10 oz and is available from TooFaced.com.
(This was sent for review.)