I can't remember the last time there was this much hype over a palette. It seems like everyone in the universe either wants it or has it. And I wasn't even going to get it originally because it's all brown, but I just can't seem to resist huge palettes like this. Lots of colors all in one place, I can see why so many people like this.
The box it comes in is surprisingly nice for something that gets thrown away. Inside of a clear plastic sleeve, the palette and a mini Urban Decay Primer Potion tube are nestled inside a beautiful purple velvet tray. I don't even know what I'd use this tray for, but it seems too pretty to just chuck it. The palette itself is covered in a soft brown velvet material with gold foil lettering. The palette contains a mirror and a brush so it's well suited for travel.
Left to right: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep, Gunmetal.
Swatched over Urban Decay Primer Potion, left to right: Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecar, Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted, Hustle, Creep, Gunmetal.
Here's a look I did using a few of the shades:
I used: Virgin, Sin, Hustle Creep and Urban Decay 24/7 in Bourbon. See the tiny sparkles in the liner? I'm surprised they showed up in the pictures but I'm glad they did.
There's already about a gazillion reviews of this palette, so I'll make mine short and sweet.
What I liked:
- It's a good value because you get 12 full size (0.05oz) shadows, a small primer and a brush for $48.
- The packaging is gorgeous.
- Some of the shades are exclusive to the palette.
- Good range of browns and earthy shades all in one palette.
- Made in the USA.
- Good size, doesn't take up much space, has a magnetic closure.
- The brush it comes with is very nice.
- Pigmentation on the shades was varied; some were excellent and some were hard, uneven and not as pigmented. Mainly the mattes, but Hustle and Creep gave me a little trouble as well.
- After the out of stock eyeliner situation which resulted in the palette coming with a brush instead, they replaced the back label with a sticker. The sticker peels up immediately because it's on top of velvet and it looks really ugly.
- The shades are all so warm, there isn't a good balance between warm, neutral and cool shades in the palette.
This is NOT a limited edition item and it seems like everyone has now restocked so it should be easy to find now. I got mine from Sephora, but Ulta has it too.