Have you seen this palette? It's crazy. The thing is massive and it has an entire rainbow of colors in it. It's called the Sephora + Pantone Universe Shades of Nature Palette and it has 35 different eyeshadow colors, all Pantone shades.
Can you tell how big this thing is? It's as big as a laptop. The shadows themselves are small, but there are a lot of them in here. Some features to note:
- Full sized mirror under the lid.
-Clear plastic overlay contains the names of all the shades. Only a portion of them are labeled on the palette.
-Cool, vividly colored beetle-shell design on the front.
-Colors are arranged in coordinating rows.
What I liked:
- The palette is gorgeous. From the brightly colored design against the white background on the front of the palette, to the rainbow of colored squares on the inside, everything about this appeals to me visually.
- Huge variety of colors. A lot of really good brights and uncommon shades, like bright pink and orange.
- The idea of using Pantone shades for eyeshadow is clever.
- Most of the colors have decent pigmentation and there's some really great ones in here.
What I didn't like:
- This palette is HUGE. It's very awkward to use because of its size.
- The shadows are tiny. For such a huge palette, I'd expect there to be a little more product in it.
- Not all the shades are labelled. You have to save the plastic insert if you want to know the names of all the colors.
- The colors don't all apply true to pan color.
- While the texture of the shadows feels silky and they swatch well on my arm, they don't all apply as nicely to the eyelids. It seems like they're too powdery so they have a hard time sticking to my lids. A lot of the colors that swatched well on my arm go on sheer and patchy when applied with a brush to the eyelids.
- A lot of the colors fade super fast. Within minutes of applying. The greys and greens seem to be the worst for fading.
- The shadows are also easy to over-blend because they're so light and fluffy.
- Costs too much. $55. I know that there are a lot of colors in here, but the size and quality of them doesn't match the $55 price tag.
This was an impulse buy. As soon as I saw the email from Sephora announcing its release, I bought it immediately. I had to. Look at it! Look at all those bright colors, and look how many they are! Plus, I've had pretty good luck with the Sephora-brand shadows lately. Now that I've used it a few times, I don't regret buying it, but it's really not as good as I hoped it would be. I'm disappointed that the shadows fade so fast even over a primer, and I wish that they adhered better. The colors are great (17-3725, ooh la la!), the palette is cool looking and it's a cool thing to have if you collect palettes like I do, but don't expect an amazing formula.