This summer, as part of the Beth Ditto collection, MAC has released two new colors of Zoom Lash mascara. Blue Charge, a bright blue, and Plum Reserve, a soft plum-purple. These colored mascaras can be used alone or as a topcoat over another mascara. The effect will be more subtle when used over black mascara or on dark lashes, but if you have naturally light colored eyelashes or if you start with a white lash primer (like Urban Decay Eyelash Primer Potion), the end result will be brighter and more noticeable.
Light violet purple (limited edition)
Here's Blue Charge used in a look. It's on my bottom lashes only here and I think it looks really cool. The eyeshadow I'm wearing is the Sugarpill Heart Breaker palette.
What I liked:
- Works well as a mascara. Most colored mascaras I've used give little to no volume or length. The Zoom Lash formula actually gives sufficient volume and length to be used alone instead of as just a topcoat over normal mascara.
- Blue Charge is bright and noticeable. It shows up even on dark lashes like mine and is a great accent for brown eyes.
- I experienced no flaking, smudging or eye irritation while wearing these.
- The colored tubes are very attractive.
- It's a great way to wear color on your eyes if you don't want to wear eyeshadow or are in a hurry.
What I didn't like:
- Plum Reserve doesn't show up well on my lashes. If you look closely, you can see that it's subtly purple, but it's not bright and obvious like Blue Charge.
- Because they dry so fast, both colors can get a little chunky or rough-looking if you use more than two coats. Keep a lash comb handy just in case.
Blue Charge is definitely worth checking out if you're curious about colored mascara. I personally loved it- it actually shows up on dark lashes and I think it looks both interesting and pretty. Plum Reserve had too subtle of an effect for me to want to spend $15 on it, but Blue Charge exceeded my expectations.
The MAC/Beth Ditto collection Zoom Lash colored mascaras are $15 for 8g/0.28 oz and they are both limited edition.