I've never really had great luck with Maybelline products. I used to love their Express Finish and Colorama nail polishes before they were reformulated/discontinued, and I bought their makeup remover every now and then, but that's about it. However, after trying and loving four new products in a row from them (one of them being those Lasting Drama gel eyeliners which I still think are absolutely amazing), I'm starting to change my mind about Maybelline. I've been trying more of their products when I would have avoided them before. And now I'm about to say something that I've never said, and never in a million years thought I would say:
Great Lash Lots of Lashes, at least. I've always hated the original Great Lash. My mom used to use it and would occasionally buy it for me and I thought it was the most pathetic mascara ever. Over the years, I'd see it win awards in various magazines and so I'd buy another tube expecting it to be awesome, but no, it never did a thing for my lashes. So, I'm not really sure what inspired me to buy this new Lots of Lashes version. Could have been that Maybelline was buy one, get one 50% off at Ulta, but... yeah. For one reason or another, it found its way into my shopping basket and I fell in love.
What I didn't know about this mascara when I bought it was that it's the original Great Lash formula, just with a new and different brush. Maybelline describes it as "heart-shaped" and I can kinda see that, but it's really more elongated, like a tapered cone where the bristles at the base are longer than the ones at the tip of the brush.
(click to enlarge)
Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes in 140 Blackest Black
I didn't actually figure out that it was the same Great Lash formula until I had already used it about a dozen times. It doesn't say that it is anywhere on the package, it only says that it's new. Only when I went to Maybelline's website to see what other colors they had did I find out that it's just Great Lash mascara with a different brush. I don't know how just changing the brush could make such a difference, but somehow it does.
"America's favorite mascara even after 40 years, now with a heart-shaped brush."
- This mascara gave me great length, volume and definition in only two coats, without clumping.
- The brush really does grab on to each individual lash, lengthening and defining without depositing too much product. It's like a little lash comb.
- It's dirt cheap. $5 for a 0.43 oz tube.
- The hot pink and green tube is cute. That's the one thing I've always liked about Great Lash.
- Easy to wash off, doesn't leave a lot of black residue around my eyes like some mascaras do.
What I didn't like:
- It flakes. Every Maybelline mascara I've ever used has flaked on me, and this is no exception. It's not severe, and it's less flaky than the other Maybelline formulas I've tried, but my usual mascaras never flake and this one does.
- The Blackest Black shade is really not as black as it could be.