Glossybox has just arrived here in the States, and I had a chance to test out their very first US sample box. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Glossybox, allow me to briefly explain the concept behind it: Glossybox is a subscription-based luxury beauty sample service. Each month, Glossybox puts together a set of five deluxe or travel-sized beauty samples and delivers it to your door. I was quite surprised at what my Glossybox contained- have a look below to see what was inside!
The first thing I noticed about the Glossybox was the packaging. Everything was color-coordinated and carefully wrapped. Even the shipping box was decorated. The pink Glossybox box is very sturdy and can definitely be re-purposed. I know that it's just paper and cardboard, but the attention to detail in the packaging made it feel really special.
The Glossybox will contain a different set of products each month, but the April box contained these items:
Basq Cucumber Tea Eye Gel (full size) - A cooling, hydrating eye gel. I found it to be a bit sticky, and the menthol in it made my eyes water and burn a bit (I was not expecting an eye cream to contain menthol!), but when stored in the fridge and applied lightly, it is rather refreshing.
CARGO EyeBronzer (full size) - This is an orange-bronze metallic powder eyeshadow with a sponge applicator. I didn't think CARGO made this anymore. This one I already have; I bought it on clearance when Sephora was clearing out CARGO a few years back. I can't find this item on CARGO's website, so I'm fairly sure it is actually discontinued.
C.O. Bigelow Lavender Peppermint Shampoo (full size) - I really enjoy the calming, herbal scent of this, but it leaves a soapy film in my hair and makes it feel dry and squeaky. Would probably make a better shower gel or bubble bath than a shampoo.
Erno Laszlo The Hollywood Collection (sample packets) - The only item in the box that wasn't full size. I haven't used this yet.
Kryolan High Gloss Brilliant Lip Shine in Toffee (full size) - Has a great creamy formula and a nice, soft brush applicator. Unfortunately, I can't wear the color at all. It's the type of color that makes me look like I erased my lips with foundation. I like the formula enough that it's made me want to try other shades of Kryolan Lip Shine.
OPI Nail Polish in Kiss Me On My Tulips - A brand new shade from the Spring 2012 Holland collection. I've previously reviewed this, but you really can't go wrong with OPI nail polish.
Kryolan Lip Shine in Toffee (top)
CARGO EyeBronzer (bottom)
What I liked:
- Nearly everything in it was full sized. I was not expecting that, but it was a really nice surprise!
- A good variety of items included in this box. Color cosmetics, skincare, haircare and nail polish.
- Gorgeous packaging. Re-useable pink box.
- The service is inexpensive and the value of the products included (in this box) far outweighed the cost of the box.
- A one-month subscription is only $21. Six months is $150 and a full year is $220.
What I didn't like:
- The subscription/purchase page on the Glossybox website only seems to be accessible when there's a new box available, making it hard to sign up in between boxes. You must subscribe to the newsletter to know when the next box is available.
- I already owned some of the items in here. This is bound to happen at least once, especially if you're really into beauty products. Not really an issue, but something to consider if you have a sizable makeup stash.
- I'm not certain if the box is customizable at all. The website mentions the ability to fill out an online profile and create a "bespoke beauty profile to start receiving your personalized beauty samples." I didn't see this option for the first box, but it may become available during the next box.
- If you wish to cancel your subscription, you must do so at least 14 days before the next box is due to ship. If your account is terminated by Beauty Trend for any reason, they will not refund any remaining/unused time on your subscription. Full details are available on Glossybox's Terms and Conditions page.
- The box reviewed here was a "promotional" box and may not accurately represent the contents of future boxes.
I think this is an awesome idea and I'll definitely be subscribing when the next box becomes available. Based on the products included in this Glossybox, I think it's worth the $21 a month. The retail value of everything in this month's box combined was $85, though there's no way to know if each subsequent box will have the same value. I'm looking forward to the next one. Can't wait to see what's going to be in it!
EDIT: After a short conversation with a Glossybox representative, I've been able to verify that the featured Glossybox (April) was a one-off "promotional" box. The representative was disappointingly evasive when I asked about future Glossyboxes containing any full-sized items, so I'm not sure if the next Glossybox will be of similar value to this one. I guess I'll have to wait and see when the next box goes on sale.
(This was sent for review.)