Here's a nice little bronze-themed makeup palette from Benefit, just in time for spring break. It's compact and even a little minimalist, but it has just about everything you need for a full face.
The Benefit Cabana Glama palette opens up to reveal a full mirror and an inner tray that can be removed so you can use the box for other purposes (it's a good size for storing photos) after you've finished the makeup.
The products included in the palette are a travel size (0.12 oz) Some Kind-a Gorgeous in Medium, a mini (0.14 oz) Hoola bronzing powder with brush, an eyeshadow trio in Peach Fizz (golden peach sheen), Bronze Buzz (tan sheen), Cocoa Pizzazz (warm brown sheen) (0.12 oz net), a double-ended sponge tip applicator and a travel size (0.08 oz) Posietint.
The Some Kind-A Gorgeous and Posietint are removable. The Hoola and shadow trio are part of the palette, but I'm sure you could depot them fairly easily.
Benefit Posietint. Posietint has a light gel texture and feels cool and weightless when applied. It can be used on both lips and cheeks, though it does have a strange taste (like all stains) when used on lips. It's smudge- and transfer-proof, making it a good choice for hot weather. The shade is a very pretty light/bright pink on my skintone and I find it much more flattering on me than the original Benetint.
Here's everything swatched without primer, natural light and flash. Left to right: Eyeshadows in Peach Fizz, Bronze Buzz, Cocoa Pizzazz, Hoola, Posietint, Some Kind-A Gorgeous in medium.
The shadows are all very sheer, but soft and velvety going on. The color is buildable, but not to dramatic levels unless it's applied wet.
Hoola is a light matte bronze that blends beautifully like all of Benefit's boxed powders, but when applied heavily, it starts to turn a little orangey on my skin tone.
What I liked:
- Cute packaging. You can always count on Benefit for that.
- Products all have full-size quality and perform as expected. No watered-down "value set" formulas here.
- Portable size palette with travel-sized products, good for packing light.
- Colors all go perfectly together for an effortless polished bronze look.
- The peach shadow makes a good highlighter used together with Hoola bronzer on the cheeks.
- Palette can be re-purposed when the products are removed.
- I always like Benefit's flat/square blush brushes, even the travel sized ones.
What I didn't like:
- I don't get Some Kind-A Gorgeous. Anyone who uses this want to clue me in on what it's good for?
- The neutral tones in this palette don't really appeal to me. I'm not much of a neutral-wearer and brown eyeshadow rarely excites me.
- Posietint tastes funny.
- Posietint feels drying on the lips after a while (it's a water-based stain that leaves a slight film), so you need balm or gloss to go with it.
- Hoola can get orangey if applied heavily on fair skin tones like mine. Go easy and blend well and it'll look awesome, just don't overdo it!
Overall, it's a cute palette for someone who wants a soft, neutral bronzey-beachy look with a pop of hot pink, but, on the whole, this palette is just too subtle for me. All of the colors are very easy to wear and flattering for a wide range of skin tones, and every product in here is top quality, but I personally have a hard time getting excited about neutrals. The peach eyeshadow shade is my favorite thing in here, and I do like it enough that I would buy it full size. It has a sort of rosy-gold duochrome on top of the pinkish-peach base that looks really bright and pretty on my eyes.
Benefit Cabana Glama is available now and retails for $36.
(This was sent for review.)